Point Pleasant is Located in
Ocean County New Jersey
Point Pleasant is a Borough in Ocean County, New
Jersey, United States. As of the United States 2000 Census, the borough
population was 19,306. The United States Census Bureau's 2008 population
estimate for Point Pleasant was 20,139. Point Pleasant is distinct from
Point Pleasant Beach, which is a separate community.
Point Pleasant was incorporated as a borough by an
Act of the New Jersey Legislature on April 21, 1920, from portions of
Brick Township, based on the results of a referendum held on May 19,
1920. The borough was reincorporated on March 12, 1928.
Around 1500 the area that included the future Point
Pleasant was the ceremonial meeting place of the Lenape Indians, who
called it the "Land of Tall Timber". In approximately 1665, the first
Anglo settlers arrived in the area, who were mainly fishermen, farmers
and boat builders.
On February 15, 1850 Governor Daniel Haines and the
New Jersey Legislature separated Ocean County from Monmouth County, and
created Brick Township, including the Point Pleasant area, which became
independent of Brick Township in 1920, though the post office carried
the designation "West Point Pleasant" until 1956. According to the
town's official website, many longtime residents still use that name.
The town's first mayor was Melville B. Parker was chosen and as the
borough's first mayor, after J.H. Harvey declined the position after
being elected. The town was initially a logging town, although logging
was never a significant part of the local economy.
In 1924 the Manasquan River-Bay Head canal was
completed as part of the inland waterway. The canal, which divides Point
Pleasant in half, provides a passage for boats, and is the northern most
leg of the Inland Waterway which traverses the Atlantic coast to
Florida. In 1964, Senator Case introduced legislation that changed the
canal's name to the Point Pleasant Canal.
Point Pleasant Borough was once regarded as a
summer resort, though its website insists that it is a "year round
community of approximately 19,000 residents".
Excerpts Redistributed from