Howell is Located in
Monmouth New Jersey
Howell is a Township in Monmouth County, New Jersey, United States. As
of the United States 2000 Census, the township population was 48,903.
Howell Township was incorporated as a township by an Act of the New
Jersey Legislature on February 23, 1801, from portions of Shrewsbury
Township. Portions of the township were taken to form Brick Township in
the newly-created Ocean County (February 15, 1850), Wall Township (March
7, 1851) and Farmingdale, (April 8, 1903).
The history of Howell Township is connected to its location along the
Manasquan River, where humans have lived since ancient times.
Archeologists have estimated that Paleo-Indians (ancient Native
Americans) settled in the Manasquan watershed as early as 9000 BC. This
makes the Manasquan Paleo-Indian site located within Howell Township,
south of Squankum Yellowbrook Road, one of the oldest settlement areas
in eastern North America (Manasquan Watershed Management Association,
1999). The discovery of a projectile point at the site led to further
excavations, which revealed refuse, floors, and other prehistoric
remains (Monmouth County Environmental Council, 1978). Turkey Swamp Park
in Freehold Township also contains an early settlement site of Paleo-Indians.
At that time, the shoreline of the Atlantic Ocean extended for 50 miles
and the Manasquan watershed consisted of grasslands and marshland that
was habitat for mammoths, caribou, musk oxen, and horses (Kraft, 1986).
The Manasquan River was first observed by Europeans in the 1520s when
Giovanni da Verrazano sailed up the coast of New Jersey. The name
“Manasquan” derives from a Lenape word meaning “mouth of the river.” The
Lenape were a peaceful tribe that practiced agriculture, hunting,
fishing, and shellfish harvesting. In addition, the Lenape possessed
highly prized black wampum made from polished local seashells, which
they used fortrade with other tribes. Archeological relics found in
Allenwood in Wall Township, adjacent to Howell Township, show evidence
of a large meeting place for the Lenape
Excerpts Redistributed from